Skip to main content

Corrections - Book Review

Short review of Corrections

Corrections is this highly acclaimed book which came out 3-4 years back. I have been wanting to pick it up and finally got a used hardbound book in great condition for around Rs100. Now after reading I am thinking of selling it back, probably in weight!!

Corrections is about a dysfunctional family in Suburban U.S. That one line describes the book quite neatly. You practically know who the characters are going to be – elderly parents in St.James (Kansas) with the old man suffering from Parkinson’s, and the old lady living out delusions of her own; elderly son who is financially well off and living in New York and is bordering on depression encouraged by a wife who doesn’t like his hobbies or his parents; second son who teaches literature at college and has lost tenure after seducing a young student and then escapes to Lithuania to help in defrauding Western investors; daughter, an upmarket chef marries an older guy followed by a break up, has a lesbian lover and finally to top it up ends up having an affair with both a husband and wife.

All these are interesting characters if it were a short 250 page book, not a 550 page tome. There are parts which are absolute tedium - you are also forced to endure a 10 page experience and conversation with a turd by the old man; come on, I know he has Parkinson’s and dementia, can we get on with the story. Why can’t editors nowadays cut short books keeping in mind reading tastes and time. We are not talking War and Peace here. The best part of the book is the section where the daughter seduces both the wife and the husband. Any prurient and it would have ended up in Letters to Penthouse. If any of you has the time and the inclination, just quickly read through this section and dump the book.

I don’t know why I picked up this book – what do I know or need to or want to know about dysfunctional families, that too in the U.S. I also feel that the whole dysfunctional family thing is a piece of nonsense. Every other family I see in India is dysfunctional. Only a vastly hypochondriac society like U.S can give it a name like that and have entire literary sub-genres devoted to it. The writing too is not gripping. If the story is not interesting, atleast the writing better be. If you want to read a really good book in this genre, with a great voice, please do read Vernon God Little and look no further.

At least one good has come out it, I thought I will pick up some books by Philip Roth, John Updike (Rabbit series) but have decided to give up the whole idea. I don’t need any more of this shit (pun intended), literally (pun intended again).

Comments

Unknown said…
Will definitely give it a miss then! Good to see you becoming a literary reviewer as well!! Keep posting
Anonymous said…
Thanks for summarizing. Now, can you save me more time by identifying the exact pages, where that salacious seduction takes place...
Vamshi said…
Anon, sorry mate. I already sold the book. It was occupying valuable shelf space.
Entropy said…
hi,
a review that ensures i never ever make the mistake of picking up the book. :-)

p.s. venky, vamshi, eoither of you read 'simoquin prophecy' and manticore's secret' yet ? If so, please review. If not, please read.
Zen.
Vamshi said…
I am not much of a fantasy guy. Most fiction leaves me indifferent nowadays. I have read good things about Simoquin though.

Popular posts from this blog

Fever Pitch - Book Review

Review of Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby, 1992, 242 p. Fever Pitch was voted the best sports book of all time by Guardian-Observer in a survey a couple of years back (beating out books like Beyond a Boundary). It surprised me that I had not heard about the book till I came upon this list. I picked up the book with some trepidation as I am not a great football fan, though I do catch the occasional EPL or Champions League matches. However one thing which enthused me was that the book was about an Arsenal fan and whatever little I have followed of the EPL, I have always been an Arsenal follower. Fever Pitch is an autobiography – a growing up story of the author set against the backdrop of the the author’s love and later obsessive interest in the Arsenal football club and how the key moments of his life, professional and personally, intertwine with the (mis)fortunes of the club. The book is structured innovatively with memories broken down into specific match days which is in fact re

Black Friday - Movie Review

Black Friday Last February, Black Friday was finally released after a delay of over 2 years. I felt that at least in this one instance, the delay was justified in a way and not due to some censor board member’s whims or minister’s fancies. The objection to the movie was that it pronounced the accused as guilty even before the court has passed their judgement in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Finally the movie was released in February 2007 after the court had passed their final judgement. I happened to miss it in the theatre due to some pressures at work and it did not have a long run. Finally I saw it on DVD. Black Friday got some good reviews and justifiably so. But there was something in the movie which did not work for me, something which made the movie fall short of being a truly good work. The story, as is well known by now, is about the investigation and arrest of the culprits behind the Bombay bomb blasts in 1993. The movie starts off like a police procedural unti