Skip to main content

Slumdog Millionaire - Review

It has been a long time since I have written a review, atleast on the group list. I thought with the considerable hype around Slumdog Millionaire, I should write a first day first show review.

The Story

The story is quite simple and must be familiar to people following the endless news coverage. It is about a kid from the slums, Jamal Malik, who is on the verge of winning Rs2 crores in Kaun Banega Crorepati. As he is just one question away from the final prize, he is whisked off to the police station overnight to be questioned if he has been cheating. He is subject to some heavy torture by the police, played by Saurabh Shukla and Irrfan Khan. Then he reveals how he has been able to answer each question as it corresponds to an event in his life. His brother, Salim and childhood love Latika, are with him on and off through his life and Jamal’s quest for Latika through brothels and gangsters dens becomes his obsession. He is finally released by the police and he goes on to win the prize and Latika too.


My Views

I am in two minds about SM, I really wanted to like the movie as it was a quasi-Indian movie which has been seeing considerable success and above all the themes, if not the sensibilities, are essentially Indian. The theme being essentially about the role of destiny (or fatalism in a negative sense) in our lives. However the movie for me was underwhelming, and that too by a huge margin.

One big note of caution before reading my views is that the context in which I have seen the movie was different than most audiences. I am one of the very few who have actually read the book on which the movie was based – Q&A by Vikas Swarup. The book, though not exceptional on literary merit, was excellent entertainment. I am cognizant of the pitfalls of comparing a book with the movie, however the pitfalls are likely to be fewer here as the book is largely a good story which should have been easy to film or adapt. However the filmmakers have changed the story around to make it more palatable to international audiences and reduce a few complexities.

However, one big grouse which I have is the sequencing of the questions to match the chronology of events in Jamal life. To elaborate, the first question might refer to something that happened to Jamal when he was 4 years, the second to something that happened when he was 5 and so on. This was really really stretching destiny. The book was interestingly structured where each question refers to a different phase of the protagonist’s life and we keep going back and forth till we have a neat mosaic of his life.

With the kind of structural experiments in narrative that we keep seeing nowadays (Following, Memento, 21 Grams, Irreversible etc) I thought that the story could have really merited a different flow to it.

Another factor which hinders an objective assessment is the feeling of déjà vu that I got when we see many of the scenes from the movie, whether the search for love or the grittier parts of the movie. I feel that, it might be new for international audiences, but people being handicapped for begging or young girls forced into prostitution is not something we are unaware of.

Unlike the comments of some faux nationalists or ignoramuses, my crib is not that we are presenting the seamy side of India for the foreign markets but that it is not seamy enough to make a more hard hitting statement atleast for Indian audiences (including me) who have been long been inured to these scenes. I felt that there was a flippancy in the way these gritty events were handled, never lingering for the audience to think, but used just to propel the story to the next question. There is a visceral movement to the movie, a very music-video psychedelic pace which makes it very difficult to dwell for a moment on the love just lost or the horrors recently seen. In editing terminology, the movie I am sure would be having a very low average length of shot (ALoS) (I really wanted to use that, never got a chance to do that until now)

Technically, the movie is top class. The photography was really award worthy. On the music, thought Rahman has done better work earlier. The actors are uniformly good, though I would take my hat off to the kids who played the younger Jamal, Salim and Latika.

However, nothing above should deter you from seeing the movie. In fact, you should see it and give me an opinion so that I can test my hypotheses of whether my reading of the book affected me against the movie and whether the movie is liked more by international audiences (a couple of Indian friends have seen it in the US and corroborate my views).

On the awards bit, I really would have loved to see the Dark Knight get more recognition. It is still the best movie I have seen in 2008. More on that later probably.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fever Pitch - Book Review

Review of Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby, 1992, 242 p. Fever Pitch was voted the best sports book of all time by Guardian-Observer in a survey a couple of years back (beating out books like Beyond a Boundary). It surprised me that I had not heard about the book till I came upon this list. I picked up the book with some trepidation as I am not a great football fan, though I do catch the occasional EPL or Champions League matches. However one thing which enthused me was that the book was about an Arsenal fan and whatever little I have followed of the EPL, I have always been an Arsenal follower. Fever Pitch is an autobiography – a growing up story of the author set against the backdrop of the the author’s love and later obsessive interest in the Arsenal football club and how the key moments of his life, professional and personally, intertwine with the (mis)fortunes of the club. The book is structured innovatively with memories broken down into specific match days which is in fact re

Black Friday - Movie Review

Black Friday Last February, Black Friday was finally released after a delay of over 2 years. I felt that at least in this one instance, the delay was justified in a way and not due to some censor board member’s whims or minister’s fancies. The objection to the movie was that it pronounced the accused as guilty even before the court has passed their judgement in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Finally the movie was released in February 2007 after the court had passed their final judgement. I happened to miss it in the theatre due to some pressures at work and it did not have a long run. Finally I saw it on DVD. Black Friday got some good reviews and justifiably so. But there was something in the movie which did not work for me, something which made the movie fall short of being a truly good work. The story, as is well known by now, is about the investigation and arrest of the culprits behind the Bombay bomb blasts in 1993. The movie starts off like a police procedural unti

Corrections - Book Review

Short review of Corrections Corrections is this highly acclaimed book which came out 3-4 years back. I have been wanting to pick it up and finally got a used hardbound book in great condition for around Rs100. Now after reading I am thinking of selling it back, probably in weight!! Corrections is about a dysfunctional family in Suburban U.S. That one line describes the book quite neatly. You practically know who the characters are going to be – elderly parents in St.James (Kansas) with the old man suffering from Parkinson’s, and the old lady living out delusions of her own; elderly son who is financially well off and living in New York and is bordering on depression encouraged by a wife who doesn’t like his hobbies or his parents; second son who teaches literature at college and has lost tenure after seducing a young student and then escapes to Lithuania to help in defrauding Western investors; daughter, an upmarket chef marries an older guy followed by a break up, has a lesb