Skip to main content
Dear Mr. Pahlaj Nihalani and other Censor Board Members,

I went to see La La Land today, as the Adult rating really got me excited. I would give up my voting right to see Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in an “A” movie. However I was shocked to find that there was nothing to sate my appetite. Nothing, nada, shunya. I am going to file a RTI application to see what made you give this an A rating.

I sat through 130 minutes of a elegant, old fashioned, beautifully shot, romantic movie. Romance, wtf, where is the gratuitous sex that the rating promised. None, not even with sheets cautiously covering offending parts. Okay, probably my expectations were misplaced, atleast some nudity would have sufficed, my hopes were belied there too. There is more nudity on Big Boss or the streets of Bangalore where men freely grope and molest women.

Now what do we have left, let’s go with abuses. I could have lived with a liberal use of the F word, something approaching 5% of Wolf of Wall Street or the first 5 pages of How Late it was, How late….but the total number of F words is….bring out the cymbals and trumpets…One. Yes, you heard me right - One - and that too uttered passingly as if the director did not want the audience to be offended. Hello, am here to be offended. Newshour at 9 has more abuses than La La Land.

Violence, gore – that should do the trick. I waited, chewing my nails up. Alas, let aside some bloodletting, the most violent part in the movie is a burnt cake.

Now I was literally deep in despair willing to take whatever scraps they throw at me, even some smooches. My hopes were dashed there too, even Hindi movies and award shows have more exchanging of bodily fluids than La La Land. Befikre had 10X the smooches and gets an UA rating. As the line in Ishqiya goes – “Tumhara ishq ishq, aur hamara sex”. Grossly unfair.

What I got instead was some knockout performances especially by Emma Stone, lovely musical numbers and background score, greatly choreographed set pieces and a deft handling of love and loss, with a lightness of touch that make it a compelling watch. Something that even kids can safely watch. But this was not what I wanted, if I wanted to watch a great movie, I will get a Criterion edition.

I was promised an Adult movie, not the cleanest and fun movie in ages. Disney’s “Moana” was better, atleast it had a “moan” in its title. And here…okay, now I get it, Mr. Nihalani did not see the movie, he thought it was a Hindi movie with a Hindi title (with the title st-uttered by Mr. Nihalani’s favourite Shakti Kapoor). Now I am not all that displeased, I have got something in return….

Yours,
A misled, but ultimately satisfied, viewer

Comments

Unknown said…
Entertained!

Popular posts from this blog

Fever Pitch - Book Review

Review of Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby, 1992, 242 p. Fever Pitch was voted the best sports book of all time by Guardian-Observer in a survey a couple of years back (beating out books like Beyond a Boundary). It surprised me that I had not heard about the book till I came upon this list. I picked up the book with some trepidation as I am not a great football fan, though I do catch the occasional EPL or Champions League matches. However one thing which enthused me was that the book was about an Arsenal fan and whatever little I have followed of the EPL, I have always been an Arsenal follower. Fever Pitch is an autobiography – a growing up story of the author set against the backdrop of the the author’s love and later obsessive interest in the Arsenal football club and how the key moments of his life, professional and personally, intertwine with the (mis)fortunes of the club. The book is structured innovatively with memories broken down into specific match days which is in fact re

Black Friday - Movie Review

Black Friday Last February, Black Friday was finally released after a delay of over 2 years. I felt that at least in this one instance, the delay was justified in a way and not due to some censor board member’s whims or minister’s fancies. The objection to the movie was that it pronounced the accused as guilty even before the court has passed their judgement in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Finally the movie was released in February 2007 after the court had passed their final judgement. I happened to miss it in the theatre due to some pressures at work and it did not have a long run. Finally I saw it on DVD. Black Friday got some good reviews and justifiably so. But there was something in the movie which did not work for me, something which made the movie fall short of being a truly good work. The story, as is well known by now, is about the investigation and arrest of the culprits behind the Bombay bomb blasts in 1993. The movie starts off like a police procedural unti

Corrections - Book Review

Short review of Corrections Corrections is this highly acclaimed book which came out 3-4 years back. I have been wanting to pick it up and finally got a used hardbound book in great condition for around Rs100. Now after reading I am thinking of selling it back, probably in weight!! Corrections is about a dysfunctional family in Suburban U.S. That one line describes the book quite neatly. You practically know who the characters are going to be – elderly parents in St.James (Kansas) with the old man suffering from Parkinson’s, and the old lady living out delusions of her own; elderly son who is financially well off and living in New York and is bordering on depression encouraged by a wife who doesn’t like his hobbies or his parents; second son who teaches literature at college and has lost tenure after seducing a young student and then escapes to Lithuania to help in defrauding Western investors; daughter, an upmarket chef marries an older guy followed by a break up, has a lesb