Skip to main content

Some notes on Running in 2022

Unlike many others, I run alone. There is nothing monkish about it. It might be the contrary actually. It is just that I start later than monks who wake up at 5 am to run. Apart from having someone who sets pace, not sure what running with a partner does. Anyway we are not exactly chatting away while running. Running with someone also entails that your times match with the partner which again is not an easy job. So for all those who have running buddies, congratulations, but I will pass. 

What running has given me apart from the solitude is an opportunity to explore cities when I travel, even on work. What might have taken 2-3 hours of walking, can be done in an hour. The stamina that you build over time through running also helps in my long walks around a new town. Before I travel, I do a recce on GMaps and also on running boards to search out nice running routes and tracks. The Indian city that has the best running routes whether it be parks and wide roads is Delhi – but the flip side is the torrid weather and pollution that one has to endure for most of the year. I travelled only once to Delhi this year but I managed to run in this lovely park that was right alongside the Lotus Temple – it had rough terrain, inclines and greens. And running back to the hotel, I got one of my good running photographs of the year. I don’t usually carry a phone while running unless when I am outside home base and photos like this make it worthwhile.

In Bombay - Running was largely in BKC where I stayed most often. The mornings at BKC are good to run as the offices are not yet open and the residential apartments are few. The roads are empty and there are pavements on many roads. However for my late starts, the humidity in Bombay can be sapping.

Bangalore was a sad city to run in, almost tragic. To see a city that I have lived in for long, fall into an abyss of potholed roads, broken pavements, overflowing drainages is to see a promising childhood friend end up as a roadside drunk, lying on the broken pavement in his vomit the morning after. My work is on the outer ring road and there are no places to run close by to any hotel, so I pick hotels near MG Road so that I can run near the Ulsoor lake. However inside the Ulsoor lake park too, the track is badly graveled and the roads outside are being relaid. It is very easy to slip on a pebble and break an angle or knee. 
 
Madras, in contrast, despite its reputation for bad weather gave me good running experiences. I am ignoring the time where GMaps took me to the Marina through some slums and fishermen colonies. Running past (stereo) typical Madras imagery of colourful temples and churches, early morning jasmine and fish sellers, having filter coffee on the way back from a run – are all cliched images, but cliched because they are ubiquitous.
 



 

When I run in other cities, I tend to run at a leisurely pace with enough stoppages for photos and being a general flaneur.

What fills me with sadness, and becomes stark when I travel abroad, is the struggle to find decent roads with pavements and green areas to run, back home in India. Even in a large urban city like Singapore, I could run near the Promenade and Marina Bay Sands which are fairly busy areas. I noticed while visiting friends in residential areas, that all of them had nice pavements for running and cycling. In India it is a challenge to find an unbroken pavement, leave aside a pavement in the first place. The second part that is immediately apparent is the clean air – which makes running so much more pleasurable with noticeably better heart rates and breathing.

 



 

In October/ November I had a glorious series of runs with 10 cities covered in a month including 5 cities in US over a period of 10 days.

New York

I was staying on 23rd street, a place that was a convenient 3 kms from Central Park. I landed in New York after a largely sleepless flight and checked in to the hotel on a cold and drizzling evening at 7 pm. I walked around a bit for dinner – the bright lights, people huddled against the cold in their overcoats, steam rising out of the ground - typical NY imagery. I could not sleep much because of the jet leg and woke up at 4 am the next morning with only 3 hours of sleep. I set out at 7 am for a run. Even at 7 am it was still dark and though it was a straight road to Central Park – it was a bit of a pain stopping at every block for the light to turn white. Running past Times Square was like stepping into a dystopian set like Blade Runner with the tops of the buildings getting lost in the morning fog and the bright lights struggling to shine through. 

Central Park was lovely in the morning with lots of runners, a manageable cold but the fog covered some of the glorious sights that I knew from earlier like the Great Lawn, the Bow Bridge etc. It was still late fall and the varying shades of red and yellow leaves offered too many opportunities to take photographs. In that process I also lost my way and ended up coming out at around the 80th street, which was 57 blocks away for me. I wanted to run only 10 kms and now had to run longer and also had to increase my pace, which was made worse by all the morning commuters on the pavements. New York does start early and almost everyone has a coffee cup in their hands (what inflation?).

 

 




The second New York run was two days later when I ran along 23rd street to the East Coast River and the Stuyvesant Cove Park. The path was absolutely glorious and I managed to time myself to reach the East River just in time to catch the sun rise over Brooklyn. I took some lovely shots of the sunrise and then the Williamsburg Bridge. On the return leg, I stepped onto a track where some NYU students were practicing their runs. I got some of my best pics of US on this trip – the runners in their long and energetic strides, the vigour of their youth against the effulgent golden sunrays, their straining muscles and their companionship almost made me pine for my own youth which was lost in the arduous ambitions of the Indian middle class. The run that day was a bit more painful than the pace suggested as my legs were tired from the long walks I had taken the previous evening.


 



Atlanta

The next run was in Atlanta. I had gone to meet my brother’s family – meeting them after 4 years. My brother too being a keen runner, he took me to a lovely wooded area around a lake that had some gentle inclines. I did the 10 K in around 53 mins – the woods/ the late fall colours/ the lakes and the Halloween decorations were an absolute joy. In no Indian city, would we able to run in such areas. In fact, even our hill stations with their poorly maintained garbage and sewage are ridden with squalor and are sometimes worse than cities. My brother is also a solid runner though he was slow on the inclines, which I was used to with my Hyderabad practice. My brother couldn’t care less about the glorious sights he was breezing past, being inured to its familiarity while I could have stayed there all day watching the fall colours over the lake and bird and ducks by the side.

 



As an aside, Atlanta is such a delight with beautiful weather for most of the year and quite green with lovely fall colours. It captures the best of the North East without the bone chilling cold. Outside New York, I find it the most multicultural – Hispanics, African American, lot of desis now and of course the heartland of the white base in deep south. 
 
 

Jersey City

I came to Jersey city on Sunday evening and checked out the running areas near the hotel. Thankfully there were many close by. However because of a Google Maps mess up (which thought I could Jesus-like tread on water) ended up taking some longer routes but finally got to the Liberty State Park that overlooks the Manhattan Skyline. I also walked through the Empty Sky Memorial that was a tribute to the WTC victims. I admire the understated elegance that goes into building memorials in the West – thoughtful, sombre and deeply touching at the same time.

 



Houston

The same evening we flew to Houston and because of some flight delays and cab issues, ended up reaching the hotel only at around 1 am. It was lightly drizzling in the morning when I woke up, I waited for the rain to subside a bit and went for a gentle 5 K run through some condo areas and on the pavements.

Houston was the most unremarkable run of all the cities – just a regular city run, but that too was on nice pavements.

 



SFO

The same evening I flew to SFO. I reached at a sane time and spent the evening walking around. I had booked a hotel near Union Square – little did I realise the squalor and homelessness that abound downtown SFO. Most pavements were littered with drug addicts/ homeless/ drunks…it was less scary than tragic. I spent over an hour walking around – I was told by a friend the next day that I should not have done that.

I checked out a running route via GMaps and found that there was a straight road to the Golden Gate Park and started closer to 730 am as the sunrise was post 7. No way could I have seen the steeply inclined SFO streets and their Victorian houses if I was gently ambling around. As I was used to inclines in Hyderabad, I could handle the legendary elevations of SFO without killing my legs. After 3 kms or so, I came to the Golden Gate park which might be less known than NY’s Central Park but is actually larger. Of course it is not as elegantly laid out but still home to many lakes and trails. If I could, I would have loved to spend more time. But the late sunrise and the business hours, don’t leave much time for a run beyond an hour or so. I actually thought the Golden Gate Park would give me good views of the bridge, but it was quite far away. I later realized that there was a better running area near the Golden Gate bridge at the Crissy field, but that time was past.

 




The best part about my runs in the US was the clean and crisp air and the gentle pre-winter cold that helped me run more efficiently with much better heart rates (lower by 10-15 bps) as compared to similar Indian runs.
 
The only Murakami book i have read is his book on running and i end this piece with a line from that book -
 
“All I do is keep on running in my own cozy, homemade void, my own nostalgic silence. And this is a pretty wonderful thing. No matter what anybody else says.” 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fever Pitch - Book Review

Review of Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby, 1992, 242 p. Fever Pitch was voted the best sports book of all time by Guardian-Observer in a survey a couple of years back (beating out books like Beyond a Boundary). It surprised me that I had not heard about the book till I came upon this list. I picked up the book with some trepidation as I am not a great football fan, though I do catch the occasional EPL or Champions League matches. However one thing which enthused me was that the book was about an Arsenal fan and whatever little I have followed of the EPL, I have always been an Arsenal follower. Fever Pitch is an autobiography – a growing up story of the author set against the backdrop of the the author’s love and later obsessive interest in the Arsenal football club and how the key moments of his life, professional and personally, intertwine with the (mis)fortunes of the club. The book is structured innovatively with memories broken down into specific match days which is in fact re

Black Friday - Movie Review

Black Friday Last February, Black Friday was finally released after a delay of over 2 years. I felt that at least in this one instance, the delay was justified in a way and not due to some censor board member’s whims or minister’s fancies. The objection to the movie was that it pronounced the accused as guilty even before the court has passed their judgement in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. Finally the movie was released in February 2007 after the court had passed their final judgement. I happened to miss it in the theatre due to some pressures at work and it did not have a long run. Finally I saw it on DVD. Black Friday got some good reviews and justifiably so. But there was something in the movie which did not work for me, something which made the movie fall short of being a truly good work. The story, as is well known by now, is about the investigation and arrest of the culprits behind the Bombay bomb blasts in 1993. The movie starts off like a police procedural unti

Corrections - Book Review

Short review of Corrections Corrections is this highly acclaimed book which came out 3-4 years back. I have been wanting to pick it up and finally got a used hardbound book in great condition for around Rs100. Now after reading I am thinking of selling it back, probably in weight!! Corrections is about a dysfunctional family in Suburban U.S. That one line describes the book quite neatly. You practically know who the characters are going to be – elderly parents in St.James (Kansas) with the old man suffering from Parkinson’s, and the old lady living out delusions of her own; elderly son who is financially well off and living in New York and is bordering on depression encouraged by a wife who doesn’t like his hobbies or his parents; second son who teaches literature at college and has lost tenure after seducing a young student and then escapes to Lithuania to help in defrauding Western investors; daughter, an upmarket chef marries an older guy followed by a break up, has a lesb